A boy child's responsibility

I just saw this post and I decided to share it with you guys, no be me write am ooo.

I was only eight years old when my mother's water broke.
Yes that's what she called it.
"Water."
I remember her shouting...
"Chi.. Chideraaaa! My water has broken call your father's line." and then she gave a wild scream.
"Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Ewoooooooo."
And started panting like someone who was blowing fire.
"Fu fu fu fu fu fu."
I was not inside the house as at that time. I was outside playing Ludo with my friend.
My mother's scream had come at the wrong time. It had come when I was just landing my 2six, 4six, and miraculously another 6six-five.
My opponent Chudubem knew he was already finished.
This guy had been beating me since we started the game- 6-0 in total. I wanted to beat him too. I wanted to win just one game and that was it.
"Chideraaa! Come o. Come and call your father."
"Yes mummy I am coming. Let me count this one. It is 6six. I am coming."
Chudubem looked at me.
"Praises does your mother have special water?"
"I do not know o. I never heard her shout about any broken water before."
"But why is she panting and blowing fire."
I stopped and listened again. That was my mother voice. She was actually sounding like someone who was blowing fire that refused to quench.
Her incessant "fu fu fu fu" continued.
"Chideraaaaaaaaa! Come ooo... Come here before I break that ludo game."
Like one who had heard the sudden gunshot of robbers, I jumped from the chair and ran inside the house.
There I saw my pregnant mother, lying on the floor with her gown raised above her laps, and water coming down from her both legs.
Before I could say 'A', my mother lifted her hands with all the anger in the world and landed a pregnant slap on my face "atuaaaaaaaaiiii"
There is something about the slap of pregnant women. I felt instant labour pains on my face. This was different from the slap of a soldier man.
"Will you pick the phone and call your father. Tell your father that the baby is coming. Tell him to rush back home now."
On hearing the news, Chudubem my friend. The one I expected would stand by me in times of persecution and confusion like this, left me and ran out like a bush monkey.
"Let me go and tell my mother and father. Aunty wants to born pikin. Yeeeeeeehhhhh"
Before I could call him back to help me, Chudubem had dashed out through the open door.
I ran to the phone and dialed Daddies number. He had written it down on a paper and placed it right beside the phone.
Mama didn't stop panting and blowing fire. She continued. It was then I realised that there was a fire burning in her. It was a fire she was about to quench.
I stood with the phone held to my ears, and my right hand still rubbing down mama pregnant slap, while I waited for daddy to pick up the call.
I was still standing when suddenly Chudubem and his father ran into the house.
"Chai. Mama Chidera is the baby coming?"
"No, it is tuber of yam that is coming out." mama screamed furiously at him.
I was shocked. Mama will never talk to Papa Chudubem like that on a normal day. I realised that a pregnant woman in labour, is different from the normal woman.
"Oya keep breathing in and breathing out. Do Fu fu fu fu fu" Papa Chudubem demonstrated.
I dropped the phone and kept staring at my mother who had suddenly become a stranger to me.
"Chidera come here you idiot." mama screamed my name as Papa Chudubem tried to lift her up.
"Chidera don't worry this is not your mother. She can talk anyhow. You are not an Idiot you hear."
I nodded my head as we both took her outside and into the car.
"Chidera run and bring the baby things. It is inside my room. Runnn."
I ran. I was also panting like mama by the time I returned. I wanted to see the end of this. That was how I entered the car.
Chudubem my friend abandoned me again. He had gone to stay in his father's shop while his father drove us to the hospital.
While in the car, mama kept tossing and turning. She was still blowing fire.
"Mama sorry. Mummy sorry."
That was all I could say. That was the only thing in my head. I was about saying the next "mama sorry" when my mother landed a coconut breaking knock on my head.
Silent mess escaped through my buttocks. This one entered my skull. My temperature changed. Pregnant women knock and slap is just too different.
"I called this boy. I called him to come and call his father, yet he kept playing LUDO outside. Let me get home, I will break that LUDO game." Mama shouted.
One minute later, car started smelling. The silent mess had saturated the atmosphere like room freshener. Mama looked at me and slapped me again. This time my eyes became red. I could not hold the cry. I started crying like one beaten by a bully in school.
"Mama Chidera, small small na. Chidera sorry o. This is not your mother like I said. Even me seff I am fearing let her not slap me join. Just be a man." Papa Chudubem encouraged as he took the next turn.
I sat quietly praying that daddy arrives by the time we get to the hospital. Because this one had now pass my power.
I never marry yet see as I am suffering.
We finally arrived the hospital. The nurses ran out to pick my mother out of the car. They were rushing her to the labour room.
I followed her behind.
"Please sir, you will have to stand here with the boy."
I felt a sudden relief. My troubles had finally come to an end. I was about to smile when I heard my mother scream from the stretcher.
"Noooo! Let my son come inside. I want him by my side. Chidera come inside."
While inside the labour room, I suffered.
At a point, I preferred to have given birth to the child myself.
My mother hijacked my shirt like a warrior, when the doctor shouted "pussshhh."
Somehow I think she wasn't seeing me. She kept seeing my father through me. The way she looked at me while she screamed, made me start screaming along with her.
At a point I started sweating along with her too.
When the doctor signalled for the last push, that was the one that nearly strangled me. I would have died if not for God. This woman did not leave my neck.
Did I mess again?
Yes.
Did the mess smell?
Of cause yes.
Did the doctors complain about the smell?
Yes.
One of the nurses quickly pushed me out of the ward before I kill them with smell.
"Just wait for your mother there you hear." The nurse pointed to a chair.
When the delivery was over, and the doctors announced that it was a baby girl. My dad smiled. He had arrived not long before the doctor came out of the labour room.
We went in to see my mother peacefully lying down.
She was smiling.
My father walked over to her and kissed her forehead. I watched how she smiled sweetly.
My sweet baby sister was sleeping peacefully too.
"Chidera come here." Mama called out.
"Sorry ko. When next I say call your father, just call him. I was provoked. Sorry my son. You did a good Job today. Your wife will enjoy you o" Mama rubbed my shiny malu head.
Which one is my wife will enjoy me?
That statement kept ringing in my head as I woke up this Saturday morning to discover that I have a class mate's wedding to attend.
Very soon now my own wedding will come, followed by my wife labour pains, and I will have to face what i faced when I was just 8years old. Chaii..

Comments